Re: [xmca] Emotion at Work

From: Steve Gabosch <sgabosch who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 00:24:02 PDT

Continuing the discussion on Michael's R's paper Emotion at Work ...
I have a problem with the claims the paper makes about the
relationship between emotional payoffs and valences, on one hand, and
motives, on the other. It seems to me that it is vital to
differentiate between the needs and motives generated objectively by
an activity, and the needs and motives that are generated
subjectively by a person engaged in an activity. Are the categories
and relationships suggested in this paper (emotions, payoffs,
valences, motivations, identity) helpful for distinguishing between
objective and subjective motives? Is it indeed vital to make this
kind of distinction?

- Steve