Re: [xmca] Emotion at Work

From: Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth who-is-at uvic.ca>
Date: Wed Aug 01 2007 - 10:33:44 PDT

Hi Helena,
I am sure all appreciate your extensive comments as much as I do. The
one question I have is about the two activity systems and how you see
them as operating in the hatchery.

I think if you took Marx's Capital, or perhaps rather Klaus
Holzkamp's extension of Leont'ev, you would think of one rather than
of two systems. As individuals, we expand our own room to maneuver---
control over our life situation---if we contribute to the collective
control over life conditions. By participating in this or that
activity (Tätigkeit, deyatel'nost'), we expand our person control---
we buy food, clothing, a roof over our head, etc.

Now you COULD see it as two systems, but the second would be an
integral and constitutive part of the first, just as Yrjö (1987)
cites the GRUNDRISSE, where Marx writes how production can be
analyzed in terms of consumption, exchange, distribution, and
production; and each of these terms in turn can be analyzed in terms
of production, consumption, distribution, and exchange. Thus
productive activity, such as working in a fish hatchery, involves
exchange processes---but whether these constitute activity
(Tätigkeit, deyatel'nost') is another question, which is answered
when you ask, so what is societal about this?

Thanks again for your careful reading,

Cheers,

Michael