Re: [xmca] Bobath method

From: Leif Strandberg <leifstrandberg.ab who-is-at telia.com>
Date: Tue Jul 31 2007 - 23:59:54 PDT

As far as I know - I am not a pyshiotherapist - Bobath method is the
leading method here in Sweden. And I think they still call it 'Bobath'.
In the beginning of 1970 another method - Vojta - was also introduced
and used here. The method was named after its founder Vaclav Vojta
(1917-2000). He was from Czechoslovakia but esacped 1968 to BRD (if
anyone rembers what BRD - and DDR - was). There was a very strong
resistance against Vojta-method in Sweden and from 1975 this method was
more or less forbidden - but is still practiced in Germany and in Japan
(and in other places). I guess that prof V. Vojta was familiar with
both Vygotsky and Luria.

Can anyone (Christine?) say more about the conflict between Bobath and
Vojta?

Leif
psychologist
Sweden

ps
A wellknown and radical Swedish author and playwriter Gunnar Ohrlander
wrote 1986 a wonderful book 'Åsas journal' (The journal of Aasa), a
book about their daughter Åsa with a CP-dysfunction, and what happens
when they practice Vojta.
ds