Re: [xmca] On Roth's "On Mediation"

From: Gordon Wells <gwells who-is-at ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 15:28:48 PDT

Michael,

I too had some difficulty with the non-mediating operation issue. I
agree with your analysis of speaking and Mike Cole's explanation of
Leontiev's example, but I still think that the operation (of
gear-shifting or fish feeding with the scoop) act as mediational
means in the action in focus. Using Mike's explanation, it would
seem that having to attend to gear-shifting - or to how to use the
scoop - means that those are actions - or probably sub-actions -
rather than operations.

Taking this general discussion a little further, wouldn't it also be
necessary to recognize that, just as there are sub-actions, so there
are sub-operations that are even further from conscious awareness?

Gordon

Gordon Wells
Department of Education
University of California, Santa Cruz		http://people.ucsc.edu/~gwells