Re: [xmca] Emotion and Cognition

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 23:15:55 PDT

David, probably the argument I raised about "subordinated" is the least
important here. It may just be misunderstanding, but in "Mind and Society"
Vygvotsky says:

                 "From the foregoing it should be clear that a
stimulus-response framework
                  for constructing experimental observations cannot serve
as the basis for the
                  adequate study of the higher, specifically human forms of
behavior. At best
                  it can only help us to record the existence of the lower,
*subordinated* forms,
                  which do not capture the essence of the higher forms.
Using current methods,
                  we can only determine quantitative variation in the
complexity of stimuli and in
                  the responses of different animals and humans at
different stages of development."
                  (Chapter 5)

So Vygotsky refers to the earlier-evolved more basic systems as
"subordinated." Wolf-Michael says the opposite. My suspicion is that this
inversion reflects a reading of Damasio. Damasio has a couple of
interesting observations to make, but in my opinion it is just another
homunculus, perhaps a more feeling homunculus at work.

When you observed that Marx had an idea about superstructure and base, my
knowledge of Latin, lousy though it is, makes me think that "super" is on
top and "base" is underneath, along with "sub."

Andy

At 10:34 PM 25/07/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>(Actually, Brenda, that last posting was pretty rational and coherent by
>my standards; normally I write much worse drivel than that!)
>
> As I understand it, Andy has two objections to Wolff-Michael's paper
> (and Damasio). I'm not going to take a stand on either until I'm sure I
> not only understand both of them but I also understand how they are
> related to each other and to Damasio (I just finished reading "Looking
> for Spinoza" and "Descartes' Error").
>
> a) Andy doesn't think that consciousness, motivation, or identity are
> "subordinated" to orientation and emotional readiness just because they
> are prior in evolutionary terms.
>
> b) Andy thinks that the identity of the modern individual does not
> emerge in anthropogenesis, as "the body's idea of the mind", but is
> instead a late development, arising from material culture.
>
> On the one hand, I don't really see why "subordinated" is necesarily
> positivistic, or how it differs in principle with consciousness,
> motivation, and identity being "superstructural" relative to orientation
> or emotional readiness.
>
> In this superstructural sense it is undoubtedly true that the airplane
> is "subordinated" to the horse and cart (it is hard to imagine a
> civilization that has developed the former without having developed the
> latter) and civilization is "subordinated" to jungle life (ditto).
>
> On the other, Damasio DOES assert a homology, even an isomorphism,
> between the way a paramecium orients to a danger and the way we are
> "emotionally ready" for a romantic experience when we embark on a date.
>
> (Rather inconsistently, Damasio then REJECTS an analogy between a human
> being and an airplane on the grounds that humans are just a hell of a lot
> more complicated. Perhaps we are, but an airplane has more moving parts
> than a paramecium, and it has a homuncular "consciousness" piloting it
> and passengers to boot, so in a sense an airplane is actually more
> complex than an individual human being, since a working airplane is
> really a system which includes a large number of human beings!)
>
> It seems to me that the problem is not that Damasio uses the word
> "subordinate" (if he does) but rather that he assumes that:
>
> i) the microgenesis of emotions obeys the same order as their
> ontogenesis, and the ontogenesis of emotions obeys the same order as
> their phylogenesis. Just because emotional readiness and orientation
> evolved before consciousness does not mean that they develop that way.
> LSV points out that in evolution sexual behavior emerges very early on,
> and consciousness is late emerging, but in human development we see
> consciousness from the very beginning and sexual behavior only when
> development is almost complete.
>
> ii) higher emotional responses obey the same rules as lower emotional
> ones, with emotional readiness and orientation coming first and higher
> emotional functions like identity, motivation and even consciousness
> [...]

  Andy Blunden : http://home.mira.net/~andy/ tel (H) +61 3 9380 9435, AIM
identity: AndyMarxists mobile 0409 358 651