Re: [xmca] Banana Mediated Emotions: Herb Clark's book

From: Phil Chappell <philchappell who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Wed Jul 25 2007 - 15:16:18 PDT

Randi,

It's great that you have contextualised Herb Clark's work as a book
that "was written in hopes of engaging cognitively oriented
psycholinguists to think differently about language (and eventually
communication and interaction)". I just read a review that was
written for Theory and Psychology that both praised the work but also
expressed concern over its Cartesian orientation evident in Clark's
position that actions originate in beliefs. The reviewer contrasts
this with a more practical, 'Aristotelian- Wittgensteinian' approach
that privileges "spontaneously enacted joint practices in terms of
which everything we as individuals do and say to one another makes
sense".

Review: http://www.massey.ac.nz/~alock/virtual/clarke.htm

I'm picking the book up from my library this afternoon and am looking
forward (to finding the time) to read it.

Cheers,

Phil