Re: [xmca] Summer reading

From: E Duvall <duvalleg who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 09:20:19 PDT

Thank you Peter!
I should not have attributed it to Harste -indeed Harste takes it from Suhor (1992): "Semiotics and the English language arts" in Language Arts (69), 228-230.
~ Em

--
He only earns his freedom and his life, who takes them every day by storm.
-- Johann Wolfgang Goethe
Emily Duvall
Doctoral Candidate (ABD) / Graduate Assistant-Instructor
Language and Literacy Education (LLED)
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
College of Education
Penn State University
256 Chambers Bldg.
University Park , PA  16802
814-861-3315 (home)
814-404-6175 (cell)
814-863-4511 (office)
FAX: 814-863-7602
edd130@psu.edu
From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu>
> at the risk of pre-empting Emily's reply....the first usage of this term that
> I'm
> aware of comes from a guy named Charles Suhor, who to my knowledge coined
> the term in the following article:
> Suhor, Charles. "Towards a Semiotics-Based Curriculum." Journal of Curriculum
> Studies, 16(3) July-September 1984, 247-57
>
> The simple definition is that it involves translating an idea across symbol
> systems, e.g., drawing your understanding of a poem. I've referenced this
> article
> many times when writing about students interpreting literature through art,
> music, dance, etc.

attached mail follows: