Re: [xmca] Summer reading

From: Peter Smagorinsky <smago who-is-at uga.edu>
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 08:52:29 PDT

at the risk of pre-empting Emily's reply....the first usage of this term that I'm
aware of comes from a guy named Charles Suhor, who to my knowledge coined
the term in the following article:
Suhor, Charles. "Towards a Semiotics-Based Curriculum." Journal of Curriculum
Studies, 16(3) July-September 1984, 247-57

The simple definition is that it involves translating an idea across symbol
systems, e.g., drawing your understanding of a poem. I've referenced this article
many times when writing about students interpreting literature through art,
music, dance, etc.