Re: [xmca] FW: Goodman: With Justice Thomas, it's more about philosophy than race

From: Kris Gutierrez <gutierrez who-is-at gseis.ucla.edu>
Date: Sun Jul 08 2007 - 18:03:21 PDT

Re: Justice Thomas

You might be interested in reading Judge and scholar Leon
Higginbotham, Jr.'s essay: "Open Letter to Clarence Thomas from a
Federal Judicial Colleague" in Toni Morrison's Race-ing Justice, En-
gendering Power (1992); it was first published in the Penn Law
Review. I read it some years ago and later while at Harvard had the
opportunity to hear Higginbotham's thoughts about "Brother
Clarence" (to quote him). The NY times wrote in '92:

"An Open Letter to Justice Clarence Thomas from a Federal Judicial
Colleague" created an enormous buzz when the University of
Pennsylvania Law Review published it in January 1992. Written by A.
Leon Higginbotham Jr., chief judge emeritus of the U.S. Court of
Appeals for the Third Circuit, it was part history lesson and part
admonition. Crafted with scholarly precision, it contained eighty-
five footnotes and numerous citations of important court cases. But
the essence of it read like a stern grandfather lecturing his
bullheaded grandson: Don't forget the roots of your success, boy, and
the responsibilities you have to those who paved your way."

For those interested, I found the PDF and I think it's the same
version that appeared in Morrison's book. It's worth the read.
Kris
Kris D. Gutierrez
Professor
Social Research Methodology
Graduate School of Education & Information Studies
Moore Hall 1026
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1521
310-825-7467

Address for the Academic Year 2006-07

Center for Advanced Studies in the Behavioral Sciences
75 Alta Road
Stanford, CA. 94305-8090