RE: [xmca] Request for selection activity

From: Helena Harlow Worthen <hworthen who-is-at ad.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat Jun 30 2007 - 14:23:59 PDT

Thanks to Steve, Dale, Mabel, Eric, Kevin, Barb and Louise:

Thank you for the many suggestions -- they sent my mind spinning. Dale,
I read your article and was moved by the poor kid in shorts who was
unable to interpret the way the other members of the team communicated
with each other, couldn't picture the whole job, and eventually was
gently pushed out of the position. I think the rhetoric of the internal
discourse of a work group is something worth studying in greater detail.
Steve,thanks for your overview and observations about social class.

Right now we're probably going to have a team of 4 interviewers and
stick to fairly routine evaluation approaches. Asking someone his or her
goals and for an example of an experience of learning will certainly be
included. But I'm still looking for something like a puzzle that can be
solved faster if viewed from more than one perspective, producing a kind
of Prisoner's Dilemma situation (where each player has to decide if he's
going to help his or her partner).

Helena

Helena Worthen
NEW EMAIL: hworthen@uiuc.edu