Re: [xmca] Politics of Difference: Succinct Summary Materials

From: Andrew Babson <ababson who-is-at umich.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 14:31:56 PDT

Pressing hard on a deadline this second, but a cursory glance at the
article gave me two thoughts: 1) She gives us a good idea of the
cultural and historical moment of the emergence of identity politics,
but she could take her discussion beyond context and categories and
ground us more in theory and 2) her race/ethnicity/multiculturalism
discussion is basically limited to North America.

Linguistic/semiotic anthro work on multilingualism has come in handy
for me in thinking about these issues -- not just because I'm working
on issues of language and sign systems per se, but I'm doing so from
a sociocultural standpoint -- from which I can be easily inspired to
think about political, historical, gender, economic, etc. implications.

Hope that's useful,
Andrew

ps- funny..it's also not a coincidence that Brazil, like SA, has had
its own share of identity politics issues!