Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [xmca]Copernicus, Darwinand Bohr

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 09:02:45 PDT

Paul-- This might be the kind of note bb was indexing in his message about
hot rhetoric.

One lesson I have taken from several recent messages is that this
discourse community is incredibly heterogeneous in the intellectual sources
it draws upon. Consequently invocation of names, or references to books we
need to read to understand a message, often go right over my head. This
applies to heidegger, merleau ponty, the politics of difference, and many
other "key words" that the discussion of toolforthoughts has evoked.

I could not parse Michael's message sufficiently on these grounds, and had
similar difficulties with at least one of Martin's recent posts.

Not sure of a bottom line here. Perhaps two points.
1. Try to avoid posts that display irritation to the point where people are
likely to feel they are being publicly dissed, while making clear
disagreements.

2. Try, when authors outside of the main chat authors are being referenced,
to provide a link, or a quotation, or some support for the
reader who is likely to be in the dark.

In the fog here until the sun breaks through in so cal.
mike