Re: [xmca] Don C about the "epic" googlization film - a bit ofmcahistory

From: Naeem Hashmi <nhashmi who-is-at infoframeworks.com>
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 20:49:24 PDT

Louise,

Interesting observations... Today, I see no one to be an expert in
anything.. Each discipline is so huge that we always feel (at least I do),
that as soon as we learn something becomes almost obsolete before the day
ends. I recall when I was growing up in Pakistan. In our town, and still in
some villages today, a barber is also a surgeon, can perform circumcision,
can shave you while you still chewing some thing, and then can shave your
armpits as well (if you desire) and when time comes for wedding, same barber
becomes chef and come to prepare feast for the huge wedding parties....The
Barber had expertise in many disciplines with the circle of a community.
The problem here is that they have narrow-expertise in few areas and have no
opportunity to grow beyond due to lack of cross- community
information/communication exchanges. And a slightly different example. In
a village in India, a father took his newly born son to an expert
astrologist and asked for his sons' future... The astrologer, after thinking
deeply opened his eyes and said... he sees a good future for him... Your son
will be respected person and always surrounded with all sort of vehicles...
Father was very happy, since he never had imagined to be around a car other
than a bull cart in his village... So father anxiously waited till his son
grew up and went to another city to work. Later, proud father went to visit
his son and to see how his son at work... father was surprised... yes. there
were hundreds of cars around his son the entire day not because his son was
rich rather son turned out to be a traffic controller -- the police fellow
who directs the Indian traffic where every things goes on the same road but
in all directions... So sometimes the way 'experts' envision things, there
is some truth to that vision, but not exact how it is perceived by others.
Same goes in today's world. The only difference is that now we cal all
team-up (virtually - like this), collaborate and learn from our limited
knowledge (expertise) to bring new composite-knowledge which as no
boundaries and source for innovations.

Also I see kids with playstations like tools are quick learners, and adopt
to new situations quickly with good motor coordination and quick reactions
when faced with unknown situations. And many pilots are also trained in
playstation like simulators before they set foot in the cockpits.

We need to encourage and enforce our young's to bring their own strengths
and collectively learn and share their experience/knowledge among extended
communities as compared to making them 'experts' in one or another thing.
And 'epics' like thing or 'Do you know' (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65wE6yFYgP8 ) at the YouTube are worth
showing to our Teachers and Young to prepare them with new realities.

Regards,
Naeem

---
Naeem Hashmi