RE: [xmca] Looking forward by looking back, sort of.

From: <xmcabb who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 13:32:18 PDT

> So maybe the question is not "What do you think?" but "Where does that
> thought come from?"

How about another question or two -- Where is this going? Is this theoretical convergence?

I have a personal history that seems relevant. In 1981 when I was a grad student, I was coauthor on a report entitled "Kinesthetic representations in problem solving" In it John Clement (UMass) and I presented an analysis of two situations in which a physicist and, separately, a beginning physics student, solved physics problems and demonstrated body motions while "thinking aloud" about the problems. We could not provide compelling evidence to determine whether the motions were (1) an integral element of the problem solving, i.e. directly aided in problem solving; (2) epiphenomena; or (3) used in communication. Also we were stuck on *representation* at a time when there was a lot of debate about how visual information was "stored in the mind" -- some suggesting it was in visual form, while others were promoting propositions (easier to deal with in AI in 1981). So we never attempted publshing, especially since the cog. sci. journals did not seem receptive to this kind of
 thing.
  Seems like dropping it was the only thing we could do, in retrospect.