Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [xmca] Copernicus, Darwinand Bohr

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 09:27:07 PDT

Michael,

I will confess that I struggle to grasp Levinas. This is a request for
clarification: what you've said [below] sounds very similar to Heidegger's
notion that the being of an entity is always constituted on the basis of a
background of cultural practices, which he called (rather confusingly) 'the
meaning of being,' or (better in my view) 'the upon-which of being.' The
'difference that makes a difference,' then, is the difference between a
being (an entity: that it is) and the being of that entity (what it is:
constituted culturally/historically).

Martin