Re: [xmca] Games, Toolsforthought, Critique

From: Steve Gabosch <sgabosch who-is-at comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jun 28 2007 - 08:06:49 PDT

I found the description below, on the website Mike refers to, of one
of David Shaffer's papers on a game that teaches how to be and think
like a science journalist. This abstract gives a snapshot of what
"epistemic gaming", or knowledge-oriented games, try to do. Note how
it is more than being about technical questions, it is about social
class issues: "encoding elements of a professional practicum" of
"socially valued professions."
- Steve

from
http://epistemicgames.org/eg/?cat=28
http://epistemicgames.org/cv/papers/hatfield_shaffer_icls_2006.pdf

Press play: designing an epistemic game engine for journalism
Abstract
Epistemic games are one approach to creating educational games that
give players skills that transfer beyond the game world by helping
young people become fluent in valuable social practices. Epistemic
games are immersive, technology-enhanced, role-playing games where
players learn to become and thus to think like doctors, lawyers,
engineers, architects, and other members of important practices and
professions. In what follows we look at the design of Byline, an
epistemic game engine behind science.net, an epistemic game of
science journalism. In particular, we argue that rather than simply
recreating the technological conditions of the profession, an
epistemic game engine like Byline can encode key elements of a
professional practicum and thus help young people learn through
participation in simulations of the training practices of socially
valued professions such as science journalism.

<end>