Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [Possible SPAM] Re: [xmca] Copernicus, Darwinand Bohr

From: Geoff <geoffrey.binder who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 27 2007 - 21:20:43 PDT

Hi, (my first post to this list....) It seems to me that there is the
knowledge / power issue here and yes, a knowledgeable person has
power, to be used as their ethics dictate. However, I've been
thinking a bit about practice of late and it seems to me that
expertise comes from practice and as such it is earned regardless of
how it is then used. When I want a service I want an expert, not a
novice. But that's not to say that various experts are not implicated
in power hierarchies that need to be challenged. I suppose that point
that I'd like to make is that expert does not equal bad. But perhaps
does require care and as Ed said, wisdom.

Cheers, Geoff

On 28/06/07, Ed Wall <ewall@umich.edu> wrote:
> Hi
>
> There are perhaps two conceptions of experts floating around here.
> One framed in terms of knowledge or something like that, and one
> framed in terms of wisdom or something like that (Hubert Dreyfus has
> written a bit about this). Perhaps the latter is worth nurturing. As
> a side note, all the teachers I have known that I might call wise
> were more than open to learn from a student. Whether that is a
> general trait of the wise, I don't know.
>
> Ed Wall
>
> >But the argument the other way around is that when you have an
> >identified expert you also have a hierarchy, and you give the
> >knowledge of that identified expert some a priori higher worth. And
> >again, I would ask, who would be the person to identify the expert?
> >We have financial experts who invest our money for us, but for many
> >you could do just as well tossing darts at a board. You have
> >international experts who tell us how to handle difficult
> >international situations - and get us in to brutal wars with no end.
> >If you are in a birthing room with a nurse and a doctor, and the
> >doctor tells you that you must have a C-section right now, and the
> >nurse tells you that you should wait who do you listen to? Who gets
> >listened to? If you go to a brilliant Park Avenue heart doctor and
> >he tells you that you need to have a double bypass, and you go to a
> >homeopathic doctor in a four floor walk up in Brooklyn who tells you
> >that you would do better with diet or excercise, which is the right
> >advice to choose?
> >
> >Of course the whole idea of expert is hard to shake loose. But the
> >truth is that we never know what the next problem, the next issue
> >will be, so how could anybody really be an expert at it? That
> >doesn't mean we devalue the abilities and knowledge individuals
> >already have. When I raise the idea of there being no experts to
> >students they say, "Wouldn't you want a doctor who was an expert
> >operating on you?" I think from what I know of hospitals I would
> >rather have nurses that have not been overworked and an operating
> >unit that works well together - but if I thought about it I would
> >rather have somebody who could explain to me what they were going to
> >do and help me make an informed decision than somebody who carried
> >that label of expert surgeon.
> >
> >We don't all start denovo, but to use Pepper's description of
> >contextualism - we come to a river and we build a boat to cross. We
> >will never come to that river, at that crossing point, at that
> >particular time again. We always have to take that in to account
> >when we meet the next crossing point. To forget our frailties and
> >flaws, no matter how successful we may be been previously, is to
> >invite tragedy.
> >
> >Michael

Geoffrey Binder
BA (SS) La Trobe, BArch (Hons) RMIT
PhD Candidate
Global Studies, Social Sciences and Planning RMIT
Ph B. 9925 9951
M. 0422 968 567