Re: [xmca] Request for selection activity

From: Dale Cyphert <Dale.Cyphert who-is-at uni.edu>
Date: Tue Jun 26 2007 - 11:12:21 PDT

Helen,

You pose a practical question that is so interesting on so many levels!

a) I read the problem as one of readiness to "fit" into the community of
construction workers because that was the central issue in a narrative
that I'm still trying to get published. It's the only chapter from my
dissertation that never found a home, and much of the reason is that
I've never been able to satisfactorily explain why "fit" is more than a
skill set OR a set of appropriate communication practices. I have tried
to describe it as an ability to give signals to the group that one is
READY to learn, but I'm not successful, so far, and making sense to
anyone else. I'm attaching the latest version so you'll have a clue
what I'm talking about, but I'm thinking it will still only be a
glimmer. Not that this is helpful in terms of an "instrument" to
measure said fit, but I would try to measure some basics like a
willingness to take on a realm of responsibility, and an ability to pay
attention to the goals of a job site. It's really hard to capture any
better then my subjects put it: "does the wheelbarrow get in the way?"

b) When you ask specifically about an ability to "learn in a group" I
wonder if you are fishing at something else that is an ongoing concern
of mine...the degree to which learning is a socially supported activity.
  In my current position, I've noticed that I'm really not teaching
individuals a set of (communication) skills; I'm teaching the whole
tribe to adopt and then socialize each other into a particular set of
communication assumptions, norms, and practices. I hadn't thought so
much about that as an ability to learn from the group on the students'
part, but maybe this does relate to the Kid's situation. Socialization
can't happen until the individual is BOTH ready/willing to learn AND
gives the "ready to learn" signals to the potential
mentors/coaches/adults who will do the socializing. I'm riffing now,
but this is a direction I'm preparing papers on right now (on the
ostensible topic of "change management") so this has been helpful!
thanks! Still....not much help toward locating an instrument.

c) I see that most others read this in terms of motivational issues;
readiness to put in some effort toward learning, or at least toward
attaining employment. I would agree that there is a need for effort,
but at the same time the effort can't be in a counterproductive
direction. The poor Kid put in a great deal of effort on that job site,
and actually exhibited behaviors that his teachers probably found very
encouraging. He watched his job mentors closely for directions, asked
for and followed their directions to the letter, and was at the job site
"ready to work" every day. Unfortunately, each of these behaviors was
interpreted as a signal that he was not cut out for success on a
construction job site and thus not "worth" mentoring through the
apprenticeship period that he had been promised.

Maybe more riffing than is helpful, but it's good to see you are still
out there working in construction!

Dale Cyphert, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Interim Head
Department of Management