Re: [xmca] 'Psychology of Art' and 'Literature and Revolution'

From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 22:13:15 PDT

--- Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... the
> sebo-croatian translation
> appears very close to the epigraph in english
> in lsv (but not the swallow in
> Russian where blind
> swallow=word

> ... Minnick seems really off base-- or using
> different text/poem)

Vygotsky's "Ya slovo pozabyl, chto ya xotel
skazat'/ I mysl' besplotnaya v chertog tenej
vernjotsya", to me, looks like a quote from
Mandel'shtam's 'Swallow', [possibly deliberately]
misconstrued so that the first line is taken from
the first (What had I wanted to say? I
forgot./The blind swallow flies back to Pluto's
palace) and the second one - from the penultimate
verse of the original Mandel'shtam's poem (but I
forgot what I want to say/ and the unbodied
thought goes back to the palace of ghosts, -- for
the full text see the post above; alternatively,
for the text in both languages see here:
http://max.mmlc.northwestern.edu/~mdenner/Demo/texts/swallow.html
).

I believe, there is noting to blame Minick for;
my guess, the quotation was for some reason (i.e.
deliberately, - perhaps, because of the
censorship problems, or maybe involuntarily, due
to, say, the author's illness) corrupted already
in the 1934 edition, by Vygotsky himself.

Also, there is possibility that there was another
version of the poem, as the editors to the
Russian 1982 edition claim, although we don't
really have much evidence yet in support of this
interpretation.

http://www.speakeasy.org/~anamshane<http://www.speakeasy.org/%7Eanamshane>