Re: [xmca] intersubjectivity, deception, perhaps also theory of mind

From: elizabeth anne daigle <elizabethdaigle who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 14:31:14 PDT

Is the deceptive behavior necessary for winning the game? (the structures of the game require players to manipulate/bluff/etc?-- therefore deception is actively taught/explicitly invited) or is it the children's own strategy for winning?

  Either way, there is much literature suggesting theory of mind is necessary for deception, particularly in research on autism.(Uta Firth, Baron-Cohen, Perner...)

  It sounds like ToM would be a useful construct for your project.

  -
  Elizabeth

Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:
  Mike,

Many centuries ago my dissertation research was a study (video) of college
students playing a modified version of the Prisoner's Dilemma. (I wanted to
do something more naturalistic but this was a psychology department!) I drew
on diverse literatures to explore the role of emotions in moral conflict.
There was deception, divergent perceptions of the same 'reality,' blame and
retribution, etc. It might be worth a quick look.

Martin

The structure of moral action: A hermeneutic study of moral conflict. Basel:
Karger, 1985.

cf:
Concealment and uncovering in moral philosophy and moral practice. 1985,
Human Development, 28, 108-112.