Re: [xmca] Consciousness & cognizance/ cognize/ cognizant

From: Anton Yasnitsky <the_yasya who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 00:28:49 PDT

Many thanks for very interesting and
thought-provoking input!

Several remarks, though:

1. The context of the original text presentation
is that of educational discourse; therefore, I
guess the hippyish "turn on" and the like are
unlikely to be appropriate with respect to the
target audience

2. There is nothing wrong with the object: the
original meaning of the verb implies that it
necessarily is transitive (and this is where the
principle of "object-boundedness"/
"object-relatedness", or "predmetnost'" is
evident)

3. Finally, it seems that the expressions like
- "The student cognizes ..."
- "The student is cognizant [of] ..." and
- "The student's cognizance ..."
are used interchangeably and synonymously by the
author. Therefore, I believe, in order to better
convey the original meaning, it is worthwhile to
preserve the whole same-stem noun-adjective-verb
set, which is quite problematic with respect to
the vast majority of the terms proposed. Also,
one should keep in mind that in the original text
all the terms discussed are derived from the stem
"conscious-" which is quite far from the idea of,
say, "perceive" or "research".

Best,
Anton.