Re: [xmca] FW: Language and Culture

From: Vera Steiner <vygotsky who-is-at unm.edu>
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 10:16:19 PDT

Hi,
I have run across some of these studies before the very comprehensive
New Yorker article. I included some reference to them in our soon to be
finished book on the emotional aspects of math, because of the lack of
number words in the Pihara language. I find the strong reliance on
singing as a mode of communication particularly interesting
These findings certainly support Tomasello's cultural theory of language
acquisition.
Vera