Re: [xmca] Re: AERA Kudos

From: Lois Holzman <lholzman who-is-at eastsideinstitute.org>
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 16:52:49 PDT

Ditto to all that Ana and others have said about the sessions!

Other sessions I greatly appreciated were a few sponsored by the Arts and
Education and the Out of School Time SIGS. Both have enough overlap with the
C-H Research SIG to think of coming up with some jointly sponsored sessions
next year and having appeal to a wider audience.

I was discussant for one of our SIG sessions, Exploring Learning
Communities..., at which 3 presentations had to do with on line instruction
and all 4 presentations had Engestrom's triangle as a key player. I was
impressed with the quality of all the presentations‹and the discussion, in
part because I was able to spark a dialogue as a non-triangle person.

Something I became aware of during those few days in the (very) Windy City
is the absence of familiarity with philosophy of science and language among
AERA-ers, and how, in my opinion, this limits the kind of conversation you
can have. It seems to me that addressing/exploring the learning and/or
teaching of language/speaking/literacy/etc., has to include how one is
understanding/conceptualizing language/speaking/literacy, etc., and be
somewhat familiar with this literature. Given Wittgenstein's relevance‹and
uniqueness as a philosopher‹I wish his later works were required study for
educators and educational researchers.

If anyone here is interested I'd jump at the chance to do some playing with
Philosophical Investigations.

Lois