Re: [xmca] B.V. Belyayev

From: Phil Chappell <philchappell who-is-at mac.com>
Date: Wed Apr 11 2007 - 17:37:37 PDT

Hi David et. al.,

My exposure to Belyayev's work is through A.A. Leontiev's writings,
again on psychology and language learning (and teaching). It's
interesting that the two areas you've picked up on, David, are ones
that AA Leontiev also focuses on. In terms of thinking and language,
AAL quotes Belyayev from a posthumously released essay where B argues
that "...the whole process of language teaching is to be envisaged as
the switching of the student's thinking from one language to
another" (1). B is then quoted as claiming that mastery of a foreign
language is characterised by direct thinking in the foreign language,
which "...reveals specific characteristics..." and is distinct from
thinking in L1. B argues that teachers should assist a learner to
develop a different way of thinking in the foreign language. AAL then
undertakes a lengthy discussion on thought and word/thinking and
speaking leaning heavily on Vygotsky's work (2). AAL concludes (this
is late 1970's) the idea of thinking in a foreign language is
"extremely progressive" but cautions against viewing the foreign
language as merely codifying a thought - "...speech is a creative
intellectual activity, included in the overall system of man's (sic)
mental and other activities. It is the completion of a cognitive
task...language can be one of the auxiliaries contributing to its
realisation"...(3). More argument against the Chomskian line of thought?

AAL also quotes B in an interesting discussion on language pedagogy,
bringing Galperin into the arena (theory of mental acts) with the
notion of "programmed learning". Arguing against the reductionism
brought on in the US by applying Skinnerian principles of S-R to
programmed learning, as well as in the USSR where teaching knowledge
over mastery of a foreign language was at that time still in favour,
AAL claims "one cannot but agree with B.V. Belyayev that programmed
teaching is not a method but a procedure; it is not a theoretical
concept of teaching, which explains why it is reaching out towards a
legitimate psychology of teaching" (4).

Thanks for bringing Belyayev (that's how AA Leontiev spelled it) and
his work out in the open here - hopefully we can get access to some
more texts.

Cheers,

Phil

Ref's
1) B.V. Belyayev, "Recent work in the psychology of language
learning", in The Psychological and Psycholinguistic Problems of
Acquiring and Mastering a New Language", Moscow State University
Press, 1969, pp. 145, 151, 152, 153

2) L.S Vygotsky, Selected Psychological Studies, RSFSR Academy of
Pedagogical Science Press, 1956, pp. 380-381

3) A.A Leontiev, Psychology and the Language Learning Process,
Pergamon Press, 1981, p. 109

4) AAL pp. 47-48