Re: [xmca] The myth of the noble savage

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Sat Mar 31 2007 - 05:06:14 PST

Andy, my issue was merely a worry that this influential writer's
rhetoric would provide more ammunition for the current community of
warmongers, including the parties you mention. My own mistrust of
Pinker is in his writing on language as biological instinct, which
admittedly probably led me to post this in the first place.

By the way, social violence as crime has in some instances grown as
new social violent crimes have emerged to be anti-social (verbal
abuse, perhaps, and Bourdieu's concepts of symbolic violence?).

Phil