Re: [xmca] Degree Program's for advanced scholars

From: Joce Nuttall (Joce.Nuttall@Education.monash.edu.au)
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 15:01:06 PST

Hi Mike, and others

Monash University (Melbourne, Australia) has a similar PhD model to many UK universities, in that there is no taught (i.e. coursework) component(although there are postgrad coursework units in theory, methodology, etc, available for students who want or need this component). The PhD program is based on the model of one candidate attached to 1 (or 2) supervisors, with closely structured, regular supervision. We also take every opportunity to bring postgrads together (for all the excellent reasons CHAT would help us describe and explain). This type of program structure allows candidates with good honours degrees or masters to go straight into developing their thesis.

There is an active and lively group of scholars at Monash engaging in CHAT-informed research, particularly in early childhood education, including the early years of schooling. External candidature is common, and many of our doctoral candidates are studying at a distance, including Zimbabwe, New Zealand, and the Seychelles.

Note that this isn't an advert for Monash's programs! Most Aus and NZ universities offer this type of PhD model. Just confirmation that there are places where the prior experience and understandings that Mike describes are seen as a common lead-in to a PhD.

Joce Nuttall