[xmca] Query: Search Actions

From: Bremme Don (dbremme@whittier.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2007 - 09:16:50 PST

Dear xMCA'ers,

Can anyone guide me to sources that explicate, illustrate, or otherwise include discussion of "search actions," especially in relation to (re)construction of the object of activity?

Engestrom refers to search actions in "Innovative learning in work teams: Analyzing cycles of knowledge creation in practice" (pp. 377-404 in _Perspectives on Activity Theory_.) Kirsten Foot, citing the latter, also briefly mentions search actions in "Pursuing an evolving object: A case study of object formation and identification, _Mind, Culture, and Activity_, 9, 132-149 (discussed on xmca in 2003). As I understand them, these two discussions offer somewhat different 'takes' on search actions, and I'd like to learn more.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

A perennial lurker,
Don Bremme