Re: [xmca] Evidence of a Critical Period for the Acquisition of SkiingEquipment

From: Mark (mark@ias-group.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 2007 - 02:05:24 PST

Dear David,

It seems for every case for something there is a case against something. You
could discuss the widespread failure of foreigners in Japan to learn
Japanese, you could look also at the successes. You could also discuss the
failures of immigrants in America who fail to learn the English language...
what is it? What causes us not to learn the language we are living in?

In the article you provided the reference to, yes, I have read it and I do
agree, as I mentioned in my last letter as well.
Vygotsky and Krashen are different. There is no doubt about it. I argued
that in a previous essay and will argue it again in furture essays,
although, by now it is more obvious and really doesn't need to be argued.

My point is different. Maybe the way you teach English in Korea is
different, but here Japan, we teach the PPP way. It is so engrained in every
textbook and in classrooms across the country that it will take my lifetime
and many more probably to rectify it. But again, washback is washback and
PPP will always be around as long as there is a need for it.

Krashen is from the outside, he doesn't take into account any ZPD and
certainly he doesn't allow for child centered learning. PPP doesn't allow
for interlanguage either and Krashen's i+1 is so similar to the PPP approach
that well, regardless of the lesson, and whether the student has acquired
the language or not, we turn the page and move on. So much or accuracy of
the i+1 or even whether the student has acquired the English becuase they
understood it, or whether it was relevant, it still is teacher centered.

Vygotsky is child-centered, I don't need to go on.

But as I pointed out in my last letter where does the lesson material come
from? Who decides what is going to be 'taught' before walking into a
classroom? Obviously in a teacher-centered classroom as we face here in
Japan, the teacher would be the obvious answer. So how does the teacher
decide this lesson? Based on a PPP approach or better yet, an i+1 approach,
which makes sense, since the teacher is probably closest to knowing what the
i in the i+1 is and what the 1 should be.
This is where Krashen sits in every classroom. From the teacher point of
view. The teacher can be insightful and assist the student through their
ZPD's but without knowing what the student will or will not be able to do,
with or without someone's help, is unbeknownst to even the student. One
could assume that if simple present is understood, then simple past regular
verbs would be the next step. But the student may have no concept of that
even with the help of the teacher.

So from that point of view the language would seem to be 'incomprehensible'
and not be acquired. It's not the teacher's fault, the student isn't ready
for it yet. As mentioned the last time, the student will be able to distance
their zone, if the language being presented to them is at that level.
Nation's four strands can be compared to the comprehensible input
hypothesis, In Nation's first strand, the learner can learn new words or
understand new vocabulary if 95% of the vocab is already understood. Is that
5% = to '1'?
So when I was making my point about Krashen being on the wrong side of the
fence, what I meant, was this: he didn't take into account that the ZPD
existed. He assumed and placed all the burden on the teacher. He didn't
identify what the '1' was either. But that is the same as a teacher assuming
that through this lesson the student will be able to distance their zone in
their ZPD, but we don't know how large the zone is either. We don't know how
much help will be needed, or how little help will be needed either. Nation
doesn't cite Vygotsky either. Nobody seems to think that Vygotsky is
important to how English is taught. Vygotsky seems to be all alone in his
child-centered world, and everyone else seems to want to open up student
heads and pour English in regardless of level.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that everyone (I use this term loosely)
seems to want to believe that language acquisition occurs from the outside.
It doesn't. It occurs from the inside and whether the ZPD of someone is too
large to distance (as I would be in the case of astrophysics) or there is no
ZPD whatsoever in something so easy to understand, that it requires no
explanation whatsoever, and in the case of SLA, the acquisition is only
going to occur if 1. the student can work through it and 2. interlanguage is
allowed to occur. Krashen didn't take into account social interaction
either. No one does. Even Ellis in his Task Based Language learning, doesn't
take into account social interaction and Swan in his Legislation by
Hypothesis article denounces TBL altogether, obliterating any hope for
Vygotsky to bud in methodology. We all like terms like communication, yet,
the methodology that results is only to get students to talk, and the lesson
is not about acquisition at all.

So as I brought Krashen into it, he and Vygotsky in the same classroom,
maybe Krashen could have learned something and maybe he might have come to
the child-centered side seeing that comprehensible input could be the ZPD on
that point only. I agree and will say again, the i+1 concept and ZPD are
different in every way, yet in being so different, they are polar opposites.

And as you point out, the American brand of SLA doesn't have much to offer
us here in Asia. As I mentioned before too, yes methodology plays a large
role and regardless of whoever won whatever war, acquisition and focus on
methodology will remain as is. Without recognizing the reasons why English
is studied, methodology or approach will be mute points.

Whether you eat American oranges or not, they are still being imported yes?
Therefore there is a market for them. Just like there is a market for those
Krashen followers or for even those who believed in the Silent Way. And for
those who hold on to Grammar Translation for dear life. That is a point I
was trying to make.

The more I study about TEFL/TESL, the more I am placed in the gray zone
until I can find my own niche and emerge with something I can believe in. I
can believe in Vygotsky and the ZPD so the way out of the gray is to find a
way to bring Vygotsky and SLA into unison. And I believe it is through
methodology. Which was the other point I was trying to make.

Cheers,

Mark