Re: [xmca] There is hope yet. Starbucks comes to Mecca.

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@uc.cl)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 17:57:25 PST

I CAN'T BELIEVE SAUDI ARABIA AUTHORIZED THAT A MALL WITH A VIEW TO
THE KASBAH BE BUILT! Take a minute to read the english intro. That
would be like a mall with a view to the Vatican or to the Wall in
Jerusalem... World is such a strange and kitsch place these days. I
actually fear that anything postmodern might turn out from this but
actually a more violent anti-modern answer.

On Mar 8, 2007, at 9:16 PM, deborah downing-wilson wrote:

> Utlimately the real enemy of
> fundamentalisms (political, religious or otherwise) is consumerism.
>
> Interesting!
>
> The "powers that be" certainly must agree with you - the malls in
> Saudi
> Arabia are heavily patrolled by the mutawah and seem far from
> secular. I
> have trouble seeing beyond a captive population of wealthy
> fundamentalist
> Muslims - where some of their own have brought in a highly selected
> sampling
> from the world's market. I had never looked at the consumerism, in
> itself,
> as undermining the fundamentalist message, but those products that
> increase
> exposure to other worlds must have an impact - the most benign
> seeming
> purchases can lead down dangerous paths.
>
> Thanks for posting this link.
>
> Deb
>

> On 3/8/07, JAG <joe.glick@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For me it is both comic and tragic. Utlimately the real enemy of
>> fundamentalisms (political, religious or otherwise) is consumerism.
>> There is no victory anywhere - there is just the possibilty that
>> things that are now deathly serious become postmodernly curious. .
>>
>> On 3/8/07, deborah downing-wilson <ddowningw@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hope for....?

>> > --
>> > Deborah Downing Wilson
>> > Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
>> > University of California San Diego
>>

> --
> Deborah Downing Wilson
> Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
> University of California San Diego

David Preiss, Ph.D.
Profesor Auxiliar / Assistant Professor

Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Escuela de Psicología
Av Vicuña Mackenna 4860
Macul, Santiago
Chile