FW: [xmca] Subtleties of Presentation Media

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 20 2007 - 07:58:56 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Peg Griffin [mailto:Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 10:57 AM
To: 'Tony Whitson'
Subject: RE: [xmca] Subtleties of Presentation Media

Hi, Tony,
It's a connection between your clause that copyright "... serves the
function of protecting the INTEGRITY of expression" and the hounding of
Langston Hughes. Some material of his had not been copyrighted but had been
made available in print in Europe; some of it was reproduced and misused in
the US. Newspapers and magazines published inflammatory articles against
Hughes using that material without his permission, often timed to attract
people to picket his lectures and readings.
The integrity of what he wrote was sacrificed to this re-purposing of his
poems (as instruments for assault) by people purporting to be fighting for
religion and democracy.
Peg G.