RE: [xmca] Fwd: social spaces

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 10:26:47 PST

Mike, since no one has answered your question about the tricky 'o' in
'o-soznanie' , here is a brief comment.
The prefix 'O' has many meanings, just like many other prefixes do, dependning on their use (the meaning being not fixed indeed). In the case of 'o-soznanie' the 'o' is not related to the meaning as in 'about' or 'concerning' something which was your hypothesis -- though this is correct in many other cases. Rather, here it is connected to the meaning of 'into' or of 'bringing something about; bringing smth into being' -- somewhat similar to the English 'en' -- as in 'enactment', 'encroachment' etc. So, 'o-soznanie' bears the meaning of 'soznanie coming into being', similar to French 'prise de conscience' perhaps. O-soznanie is often translated as 'awareness' into English, and as is often the case, the translation is not exact with many deep theoretical issues lingering behind the surface of merely translating words.
Translation entails huge theoretical work of conceptualization; many pieces in Vygotsky are really translated in ways I cannot agree with, often with the meaning of the sentence being reversed into just its opposite -- quite unfortunately actually. No one's fault in particular, just the testament to the power, richness, uniqueness, complexity and fluidity of each and every language.