[xmca] history of writing

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@uga.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2007 - 13:08:20 PST

Awhile back, there was a brief discussion, I think, about the history of
writing or literacy (I'm just coming off knee surgery, so the pain meds may
have addled my brain of late). Recently, Research in the Teaching of English
published a symposium in which David Olson's beliefs about writing are
sandwiched around a set of brief essays responding to his initial thoughts.
I'm attaching the whole collection, mainly to direct people interested in
the origins of writing to Marty Nystrand's essay, in which he provides a
brief history and appropriate references.

All in all, an interesting read. p

Peter Smagorinsky
The University of Georgia
Department of Language and Literacy Education
125 Aderhold Hall
Athens, GA 30602-7123
smago@uga.edu /fax:706-542-4509/phone:706-542-4507/
http://www.coe.uga.edu/lle/faculty/smagorinsky/index.html