Re: [SPAM] RE: [xmca] Action Research and its relationship to SCHAT

From: David ES (eddyspda@gse.harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 25 2007 - 10:28:50 PST

Hi Cathrene,

Your highlights of an action research-CHAT framework helped me see that
Edwards does seem to minimize agency ("effective participation" in
distributing knowledge) and accord CHAT its more significant
contribution to illuminating expansive cycles of systemic transformation
(embedding action in systems of activity).

It's interesting that agency is central to John Elliott, on whom Edwards
leans heavily for formulations of Action Research. His 1991 book
_Action Research for Educational Change_ is about action research as a
form of creative resistance of activist teacher-researchers to
"technocratic systems of surveillance and control in the guise of
curriculum reform." (By the way, he includes here not only the kinds of
short-sighted, ahistorical government policies and processes that others
have brought to light earlier in this thread but also academic
researchers who "hijack" teachers' theories.)

He explicitly points to the ways that power, agency, and identity are
intertwined in the kinds of reflective practice that the Action Research
he's after promotes, one that "transforms rather than simply
preserves... the professional craft culture of teachers."

This points to the second critical component in your list of three about
the contributions of historical analysis: "engage in dialectic,
transactional process with the past." In my view, this hinges on the
expansion of the object of the activity of an inquiry process and the
reformulation of power relationships of those involved.

How does this view of activist teacher-researchers and critical
relationships with researcher-researchers sit with others' views of
CHAT-Action Research frameworks?

David

--
David Eddy Spicer, Ed.D.