[xmca] Re: understanding the process/outcome

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2007 - 14:52:16 PST

ERic--

One NEVER need apologize for asking questions, posing issues, commenting so
long as they are meant in the spirit of building common understanding. In
that message I was
reacting to the suggestion, or what I took to be the suggestion, that action
research could forgo a study of the history of the people and institutional
setting in which the research was being conducted. I was saying that it was
my understanding of our common understanding that history matters.

Whether or not phylogenetic history can plausibly brought into the picture
depends a LOT
on the issue being addressed and the conditions under which it is being
addressed.

The point made by several people including yourself that humans are still
evolving is an important one. Rapidly accumulating information about the
changes in brain function and structure that are brought about by
involvement in cultural practices to people living today
make this more than a theoretical issue.
mike