RE: [xmca] Action Research and its relationship to XMCA theoreticaland methodological interests

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 09:15:51 PST

Had a chance to take a look at both Cathrene's chapters and the paper by Anne Edwards. It is really interesting, good work. I am left with an initial question. In both cases (and I might be wrong here), what the authors were saying that CHAT (or SCRAT) have to offer action research is a historical perspective, which, from what I am reading, is not really part of Action research. The question this brings to mind is, "Is this a good thing?" Do we naturally take historical analysis as a good when we are attempting to deal with immediate problems, and to sort of break the yoke the the larger cultural foregrounding when attempting to deal with immediate problems, or does it in some way "stack the deck" and force a more culturally historical acceptable solution to the problem. It's a problem I really struggle with. One thing that Cathrene's chapters really did for me is make me recognize the relationship between micro-genetic research and action research - because I suppose in the best of all possible worlds micro-genetic research is action research (or is it the other way around?)

Michael