[xmca] Education for Innovation in India, China and America

From: Russell, Donna L (russelldl@umkc.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 08:22:45 PST

hi dan

i would love to go to the conference- Education for Innovation in India, China and America-- it sounds great - thanks for posting about it -

i am also interested in the issue of whether innovation can be taught -- i have worked with gifted students in suburban schools - inner city middle schools- and now in graduate educational programs - based on my experiences teaching problem-based learning in varied settings i believe it is important to design learning environments where innovation is not only encouraged --it is mandatory - as in open-ended problem solving environments where collaboration and dialog are the paramount cognitive processes- i also believe that real-world problem solving is critical- designing PBL units where students tackle environmental issues, engineering problems, or social issues as part of their learning- i also encorporate emerging new technologies - like 3-D collaborative learning environments- that allow my students the opportunity to engage with information and others at very high levels - i believe this encourages innovation-

i guess- for me- innovation happens when you design for its potentiality - hopefullly

donna

Donna L. Russell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Learning Technologies