Re: [xmca] Talking Science

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 02:33:40 PST

David and Jay,

I've been having dialogue with Fran Christie on and off over the past
couple of years and she's been a great 'expert other' for me in my
study on classroom discourse utilising SFL and Bernstein. While I'm
flat out preparing for 80 youth from across Asia to descend on
Bangkok for the Asian Youth Forum next week (including a sizeable
group from Korea, David), I haven't the time to add my tuppence
worth, but will when the forum is over at the end of the month.

In the meantime, you might be interested in a new edited volume by
Christie and Martin that sprang from an SFL and Bernstein conference
at Sydney University a couple of years ago. It has a chapter devoted
to science education by Kay O'Halloran, but apart from that, it is a
book which overall seeks to look again at the nature of knowledge and
its construction. It thus by implication touches on all the issues of
being 'conservative' or alternatively being 'critical' (which Jay
alludes to in part).

Cheers,

Phil

Title: Language, Knowledge and Pedagogy
Subtitle: Functional Linguistic and Sociological Perspectives
Publication Year: 2006
Publisher: Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
           http://www.continuumbooks.com

Book URL: http://www.continuumbooks.com

Editor: Frances Christie
Editor: J. R. Martin

Hardback: ISBN: 0826489176 Pages: 304 Price: U.K. £ 75.00

Abstract:

What makes academic disciplines different from each other? How do these
differences affect the way they create and transmit different forms of
knowledge? What makes them different from everyday discourse? This book
tackles these important questions, exploring the nature of knowledge,
language and pedagogy in a genuinely transdisciplinary dialogue between
systemic functional linguistics and the sociology of Basil
Bernstein. The
central focus of this cutting edge endeavour is the structure and
transmission of academic and educational knowledge: how different
disciplines are created, transformed and taught in institutional
settings.
  An international consortium of functional linguists and Bernsteinian
sociologists examine the nature of knowledge, the genesis of knowledge
forms in early childhood, and the organization of academic subjects,
including English, mathematics, social science and natural science. The
result is a timely and original analysis of knowledge structures at
work in
educational institutions. Language, Knowledge and Pedagogy makes a major
contribution to linguistics, applied linguistics, sociology and
educational
theory. It will be of interest to researchers and students working in
all