Re: [xmca] Talking Science

From: Jay Lemke (jaylemke@umich.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2007 - 10:18:59 PST

David calls attention to what I sometimes call the "magnifying glass"
effect in discourse analysis. We put short episodes under the
magnifying glass of word-by-word analysis, in a way that is often not
phenomenologically real for participants. But the advantage of the
method, of course, is that we can see the POSSIBILITIES for what
could happen significantly for participants on other occasions, and
given the millions of monkeys at their millions of typewriters (i.e.
all of us), almost inevitably does happen, whether we were lucky
enough to catch it on tape or not.

So in the two contexts of two books, I use the episode to make
different points. I use it not so much as evidence for what did
happen, as for illustration of what can (and often surely does)
happen. In fact, in the corpus of data from which this episode is
drawn, I did have many other such examples. Sometimes teachers simply
use appeals to authority to suppress student disagreement, and
sometimes they rely on longterm sympathetic relationships with
students to slide out of tight spots. And they can do both at once.
In this episode there were gender issues involved, authority issues
re both science and my own presence, longterm issues having to do
with this teacher and this student and with the teacher's general
reputation for humor and self-deprecation.

David is certainly right that interpreting any episode in situ
requires situating it in developments on much longer timescales than
that of most data collection or observation. We all wish we did
longterm ethnographic studies, but few of us do. Nonetheless, we can
learn a lot about typicality and norms and generally about the
repertoire of possibilities by shorter term observations. We should
just not confuse what CAN happen, what typically happens, and what in
any one case actually DID happen (phenomenologically, emically).

As to Fran Christie's analyses, which use some of the same linguistic
techniques as mine (and she is an old friend), the point she is
making is more conservative than my view. We agree that letting
students do more authentic science talking would help them understand
how to use scientific concepts and modes of reasoning. For her, this
is the goal, a mode of empowerment with cultural capital. I am more
inclined to promote subversive perspectives as a goal of education,
empowering people to make the world differently, using some of the
tools normally used to make it as it is. So I'd want any use of
scientific discourse to be framed by critical choices about when and
why to use it, not use it, change it, mix it with other discourses,
etc. Fran may think that's too confusing and anomic for students at
younger ages, and that some mastery of the standard discourses has to
come first. There was in fact a big debate about this between people
of Fran's opinion and a view rather closer to mine, represented by
Alan Luke, in Australia in the late 80s and early 90s.

My current view is that disciplinary specialization is a bad way to
think about education generally, up until fairly late in the process,
when it's a path deliberately chosen by some advanced students. If
you want to use any discourse, such as scientific discourse,
critically, then you need to be education more realistically in the
messy inter-tangled world of multiple and not always comfortably
consistent discourses and practices that happen across sites and
settings and tasks and activities. The artificial simplifications of
schooling and standardized curriculum are the worst possible
preparation for life, especially for life in the 21st century. They
are a rather good way of maintaining the status quo and wasting the
time of a lot of intelligent and potential creative (read renegade) people.

JAY.

Jay Lemke
Professor
University of Michigan