Re: [xmca] CHAT and action-research

From: David ES (eddyspda@gse.harvard.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2007 - 12:09:57 PST

I'd welcome the chance to read and discuss Cathrene's chapter, as well.

Another piece to consider is Anne Edward's article, "Looking at action
research through the lenses of sociocultural psychology and activity
theory" in Educational Action Research (2000, v8n1).

She's after the points of conceptual connection and finds one in a
shared concern around the interplay of individual agency and
organizational surround (at least in the version of collaborative action
research she leans into, John Elliott's, inspired by Giddens). She notes
that CHAT offers AR systematic means of theorizing and analyzing
interconnections among agency, action, system.

It seems a critical consideration has to be about the levels at which
cross-pollination occurs--who gets to enact the role of researcher
(owning conceptual & analytic frameworks) and who gets researched.

For example, Cobb & McClain serve as one example, with thoughtful,
engaged researchers on the outside using CHAT as a means of illuminating
how insiders carry out what might be considered broadly a collaborative
action research effort. Another example is that of the Developing
Inquiring Communities of Educators Project, which Gordon Wells describes
in the first chapter of Action, Talk, and Text as a close-knit group of
teacher-researchers co-constructing a common framework for inquiry by
delving into CHAT together.

So looking at methods alone might not get at such issues of epistemology
and power, but methodologies would. It would be great to lay out a
spectrum of worked examples, including Cathrene's, these, others.

David

--
David Eddy Spicer, Ed.D.
Harvard Graduate School of Education