RE: [xmca] CHAT and action-research

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2007 - 15:12:07 PST

And even the so-called "scientifically-based research" espouses looking for
practice-based evidence and practice-based outcomes as the only ground
on which to draw conclusions of effectiveness and efficacy.

Kevin, I would say that outside of Pragmatism, action research and CHAT that most scientific exploration does not give practice primacy. Most research in the social sciences has preconceived notions it seems to me about what you are going to find if you run an experiment and this guides everything. In others words it doesn't start with a real world problem and attempt to find a solution, but starts with hypothesis about the way humans act and looks to prove that hypothesis. As I've heard so many times, if you are looking to prove something, there's a pretty good chance that you are going to prove it. This is reinforced by the idea that in much research if you don't find what you are looking for you have to throw it out - no publications, no nothing. I would say most research actually falls in to Model I, the idea that there are espoused theories about the way humans act, and then the attempts to solve the problem through theory-in-use is delimited, not because the espoused theory is better, but because if you don't find something within the espoused theory you have no cultural capital with any group and therefore no place to publish. Isn't this what action research is claiming is wrong with most problem solving in organizations? The critical issue I think is giving the practice primacy - focusing on the idea that it is finding the solution to the problem that is critical and not proving something (because then proving something becomes more critical than the solution).

At the same time I am not all that comfortable with Model II and the double feedback loop. I mean what is being suggested is that practice is able to double back and change espoused theory, is able to change the way the organization is set up. But the next problem is going to be different from the current problem, so I wonder if you run in to the problem of having an organization that is attempting to fight yesterday's war.

Michael