[xmca] Translating Vygotsky

From: Cathrene Connery (ConneryC@cwu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 13:56:00 PST

Hi Volker and everyone:
Thanks for taking the time to provide us with quotes regarding the dialectical nature of the ZPD from the German translation you referred to. While I am not fluent in German, I have some friends that are and will call on their expertise to help translate the text you quoted.

The issue of translation can make a huge difference in our transaction with and interpretation of Vygotsky's writings. I have struggled especially with the concept of perezhivanie / perezhivanija. Would anyone like to take a stab at this one?

Gratefully,
Cathrene

M. Cathrene Connery, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Bilingual & TESL Education
Central Washington University

>>> "Volker.hippie" <Volker.hippie@tele2adsl.dk> 1/11/2007 2:44 AM >>>
Dear Cathrine, in "Denken und Sprechen", translated by Lompscher and
Rückriem, I felt in love with the term, on page 253: "Aus dieser
specifischen Zusammenarbeit zwischen Kind und Erwachsenem, die ... das
zentrale Moment im Bildungsproces darstellt, erklärt sich die frühe
Reifung wissenschaftlicher Begriffe sowie der Umstand, dass ihr
Entwicklungsniveau als *Zone der nächsten Möglichkeiten (Zone for next
possibilities) *hinsichtlich der Alltagsbegriffe wirkt, indem er ihnen
als eine Art Propädeutik den Weg bahnt".

Page 32: Um nachzuahmen, muss ich die Möglichkeit haben, von dem, was
ich kann, zu dem überzugehen, was ich nicht kann.

I would like to give you some more quotes, but first I have to ask, -
are you able to read German? In a way it would not make meaning to
translate fx the term "Bildungsproces", because as I know they do not
have a word for it, in English. "Bildung" is another one, of this funny
words, where Bildung means to get educated, not only as we understand to
learning, but, too, as socializing to a democratic human member of the
world community.

You could find the same passages in the translation by Kozulin, 1986, or
Sevé, 1997, but for me , Lompscher/Rückriem (with the assistance of
Elena Kravtsova, Ghita Vygodskaya) have been able to translate the words
by Vygotsky in a way, as they express in the start of the book, closest
to the Russian original text. - I don't know if that is the "really" the
case, ...

Volker