Re: [xmca] Writing systems (Godel)

From: Paul Dillon (phd_crit_think@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 19:23:35 PST

Mike,
   You wrote,

  "Unless you are going up against Goedel, there IS presumably an answer, a way to figure "it" out."

  which made me think I might have created a false idea about Godel, maybe not. I don't think Godel was trying to show "there is no answer".

  My understanding of Godel comes from Newman's book: Godel's Proof, which is written so that anyone who understands arithmetic can get an idea what Godel did. He was basically refuting Russell and Whitehead's attempt to reduce mathematics to logic, that is, to refute the idea that given certain axioms (Peano's basically) that all of math would follow thereon according to the laws of first-order logic--it must be admitted that along the way Russell did develop his theory of types from which Bateson got so much mileage. Godel simply showed that you can't do this. I can't say I have understood Godel's proof, but I did understand the book of the same name. At least I think I did.

  It really comes down to saying that numbers are "out there", which should be OK for CHAT folk since the mind itself is "out there", not inside the head, from a CHAT perspective, isn't it. Math, as practiced by mathematicians, is really the "theory of math" not the math itself, e.g., weavers perform incredibly complex arithmetical operations in order to produce their designs without having the slightest knowledge of that theory or any formal training in arithmetic

  Paul Dillon

  Paul

Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
  Ed-- Sorry-- I needed a quiet enough moment to read your example, re-read
your
initial inquiry, and then come back to your initial example.

There are two things you need to know in interpreting my response. First, I
am TERRIBLE
at proofs such as that you give for the infinite number of prime numbers. I
would have failed
at several points, but the essential starting point (suppose the opposite is
true and show it can't be)
would not occur to me never mind I would screw up at some other bifurcation
point!

Second, I am married to a fiction writer.

I sometimes get the feeling that maybe what you are saying could be true of
Dickens, but to describe
the experiences and events that constitute one of my wife's books as "the
writing writing itself" would
simply go against all I have witnessed and been party to. The only way I
could get there is if all of the
incredibly uneven backs and forths, and getting stuck in blind alleys, and
then getting distracted by
other life exigencies and then returning, reaching "an" end only to have a
completely different end
emerge, if THAT is writing itself, then ok. But what an "itself"!!

We sometimes discuss how what I do is different. I, presumably, write about
"things as they are" such as,
for example, the role of culture and biology in ontogenesis. There is a
putative, as if reality out there (I
naively assume) and I set out to write about it, to describe it, to
speculate about, to (ha ha!!) explain it. What
I write seems a whole lot easier to do than what my wife does...... and what
she does seems, in some ways
to be "halfway" between what I do and a mathematical proof. Unless you are
going up against Goedel, there IS
presumably an answer, a way to figure "it" out. But what if there is no if,
if if has to be created from...........

So I write fictions that pass as descritions of reality and my wife creates
descriptions of a reality that pass as
fictions.

I doubt if that helps you, but it helped me. thanks
mike