[xmca] Narrative

From: Michael Glassman (MGlassman@ehe.ohio-state.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2007 - 05:16:17 PST

Mike and others that might be interested,

I have been thinking about a good book to teach undergraduate students narrative (and even autobiographical memory and the relationship between the two). I think a really good book is Stephen King's "On Writing". His writing style is very accessible and many undergraduates already know his work so there are linkages. He writes the book in two parts, the first part autobiography and the second part the mechanics of narrative, and though most people who use the book don't focus on this, it is one of the best examples of how our autobiographical experiences get turned in to narrative. (I think a very interesting series of classes would be to read a book like IT in conjunction and really see the relationship between autobiography and how it is transformed in to stories that affect us all - from the public - to the private - to the public). And this might get students interested in more complex psychological issues such as those raised by Bruner.

Michael