Re: [xmca] Math Question

From: Janet Frost (jhfrost@unr.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2007 - 19:59:34 PST

It seems to me that this perspective is based on the traditional way that
most of us learned mathematics ­ by being taught and expected to follow
certain rules or algorithms in order to work with numbers. However, newer
approaches to teaching mathematics, based on a problem-solving approach,
allows children the opportunity to be very creative in their approaches to
working with numbers.

Boaler and Greeno suggest that the traditional non-creative approach is what
drives many creative and divergent thinkers out of mathematics, to the
detriment of the field. (Fortunately, the strongest mathematicians ­ like
Einstein ­ maintain their sense of creativity.) Unfortunately, they suggest
that the math majors who prefer ³received knowing² - meaning the memorized
algorithmic kind ­ are often the ones who go on to become math teachers and
perpetuate the idea that math is not creative but instead is a repetitive
exercise.

Boaler and Greeno (2000) Identity, agency, and knowing in mathematical
worlds. In J. Boaler (Ed.) Multiple Perspectives on Mathematics Teaching and
Learning (pp. 171-200). Westport, CT: Ablex Publishing.

Janet