Re: [xmca] Zo-peds, roads, and Senseis

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Dec 24 2006 - 08:08:57 PST

Thanks for the Dewey ref, Matt.
All I mean by adam and eve, Andy, was that being human, they acted for
reasons, illusory perhaps, but they were not BLIND watch makers (I was
playing with words, always a dangerous move on email!, sorry).

By my understanding, the fact or artifact mediation of human activity means
that purposes of prior generations (variously defined) become the
affordances of the artifacts in our environments through a process of
selection such that having at our disposal, for an example, a spoon, the
"purpose" of eating some ice cream
(or digging for grubs) is present in the environment as a possibility even
before we know it.

mike