Re: [xmca] question

From: Eirik R. Knutsson (eirikeng@student.hf.uio.no)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2006 - 11:13:39 PST

Martin,

It seems that I forgot to give you the full notes on further suggested
reading:

Lotman, Y. M. Universe of the Mind: A Semiotic Theory of Culture. London,
1990

Lotman's and Uspensky's work is to my knowledge only available in Russian,
first published in 1977.

The binary model could serve to explain the Russian claim that there's no
room for more than one kind of (Orthodox) Marxism in Russia, and why the
Western, plurivocal/polyphonic approach tends to be considered as sheer
heresy...

The historian Boris Groys could also be recommended. He has done some
interesting research on the Russian Orthodox obsession with rituals.
Die-hard classifications of Vygotsky as a pure Marxist may be seen as a
modern day expression of this obsession :) Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eirik

> [...]
>> considered either good or bad/evil, behaviour either sinful or
>> sacred/holy, no intermediate positions being permitted (as in the
>> Western
>> tradition). In the (medieval) hereafter, there was either heaven or
>> hell.
>> In the orthodox world, there was no concept of purgatory.
>>
>> Thus, the Western system of thought, according to Lotman & Uspenskii, is
>> tertiary (consisting of three key components), while Russia represents a
>> binary model. These differences are longue durée expressions of
>> medieval
>> cosmologies and systems of thought. In medieval Western Europe, all
>> actions and ideas could be perceived as either bad/evil-good, sinful –
>> holy/sacred or somewhere in between, in a neutral intermediate
>> axiological
>> space. In the hereafter, the tertiary system corresponds to heaven –
>> purgatory – hell. The Western neutral intermediate space (or position)
>> results in a dynamical system of thought. New ideas are allowed to be
>> introduced beyond the dichotomy of good and bad/evil.
>>
>> Within the Russian binary, static system of thought, new ideas were
>> considered according to absolute dichotomies (good-evil/bad,
>> sinful-holy/sacred etc). Hence, in the Russian binary system of thought,
>> new ideas, when on rare occasions embraced, were transformed into
>> absolute
>> terms and dogmas. Real change in a binary system of thought like that,
>> is
>> only possible through a revolutionary reconsideration of all values.
>> Such
>> reassessments of all values are evident throughout Russian
>> (intellectual)
>> history. According to Yuri Lotman, only one, dominant idea can exist at
>> one time in Russia, while the West represents a plurivocal, or
>> polyphone,
>> continuum.
>>
>> BTW, the Swedish scholar Per Arne Bodin has done some useful research in
>> these matters (cf. his “Russia and Europe: A Cultural-Historical
>> Study”,
>> Stockholm 1994).
>>

>> Eirik K.

>>> Sasha,
>>>
>>> I agree entirely that an interpretation of Marx will always be from one
>>> or
>>> another stance. It seems to me that there are large differences between
>>> Marx
>>> scholarship in the west and that in Russia. When you say, for example,
>>> that
>>> there is there is only one school of Marxist philosophy in Russia that
>>> strikes me as both a strength and a weakness. My knowledge of Marx is
>>> without a doubt far inferior to yours, but I hope that it has been
>>> richened
>>> by exploring a little how Marx was read by people like Lefebvre,
>>> Sartre,
>>> Merleau-Ponty, and read back into Hegel by Kojeve, Hyppolite, Lukacs,
>>> others. I'm not trying to sound erudite; my point is that Marx's texts