Re: [xmca] question

From: Eirik Knutsson (eirikeng@student.hf.uio.no)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 17:00:56 PST

Martin,

It seems to me that the Russian historians Yuri Lotman’s and B. A.
Uspenskii’s model, according to which Russia represents a binary system of
thought throughout its history, i.e., a collective division of the world
into positive and negative axiological spaces, may be of some interest in
this respect.

According to the Russian binary model or system of thought, acts are
considered either good or bad/evil, behaviour either sinful or
sacred/holy, no intermediate positions being permitted (as in the Western
tradition). In the (medieval) hereafter, there was either heaven or hell.
In the orthodox world, there was no concept of purgatory.

Thus, the Western system of thought, according to Lotman & Uspenskii, is
tertiary (consisting of three key components), while Russia represents a
binary model. These differences are longue durée expressions of medieval
cosmologies and systems of thought. In medieval Western Europe, all
actions and ideas could be perceived as either bad/evil-good, sinful –
holy/sacred or somewhere in between, in a neutral intermediate axiological
space. In the hereafter, the tertiary system corresponds to heaven –
purgatory – hell. The Western neutral intermediate space (or position)
results in a dynamical system of thought. New ideas are allowed to be
introduced beyond the dichotomy of good and bad/evil.

Within the Russian binary, static system of thought, new ideas were
considered according to absolute dichotomies (good-evil/bad,
sinful-holy/sacred etc). Hence, in the Russian binary system of thought,
new ideas, when on rare occasions embraced, were transformed into absolute
terms and dogmas. Real change in a binary system of thought like that, is
only possible through a revolutionary reconsideration of all values. Such
reassessments of all values are evident throughout Russian (intellectual)
history. According to Yuri Lotman, only one, dominant idea can exist at
one time in Russia, while the West represents a plurivocal, or polyphone,
continuum.

BTW, the Swedish scholar Per Arne Bodin has done some useful research in
these matters (cf. his “Russia and Europe: A Cultural-Historical Study”,
Stockholm 1994).

Eirik K.