RE: [xmca] Evolving personalized instructional construct?

From: Andy Blunden (ablunden@mira.net)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2006 - 16:50:17 PST

Michael,

Coming from where I do, I fully support your interest in participatory
democracy.Cognition between people, whether via Peirce or Vygotsky, we know
to be prior to cognition within a person. So I too regard participatory
democracy, collective and practical problem solving, to be of central
importance in understanding the human condition at the moment. This is an
important shared concern, Michael.

However, I feel that your description of Participatory Democracy displays a
certain kind of extremism, or overstatement for ideological purposes, which
can be the source of confusion, especially at a time when
"student-as-customer" is all the rage, and not "teacher-as-authority". I
have frequently witnessed and participated in the kind of infantile
enthusiasm in which a group of young Red Guards dismiss all previous
culture with a swift gesture and joyously repeat the mistakes of ancient
history before descending into disappointment and confusion exactly on the
basis of some of the ideas you mention. It is important to be aware that
when you are engaged in social-historical practice, you are doing just that
- participating in something that started before you were born and will
continue after you die, and involves the use of language, concepts, tools,
literature, organisations, land etc., etc, which was produced by others in
the past and generously handed on to you for you to use. There is nothing
undemocratic about that realisation.

I might say also that for all the criticisms we might have of
representative democracy, it very obviously has its time and place, and in
those countries and times when it was abolished because it is not as good
as participatory democracy, the results were less than impressive. There
are problems which simply cannot be solved by PD alone and to suggest
otherwise it also to sow confusion.

I don't see the point of your remarks about teleology; perhaps you could
explain their significance. We all know teleology is a bad thing today.

Andy