Re: [xmca] perhaps. . . sensei

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@uc.cl)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2006 - 10:14:25 PST

This is a great discussion. I wonder, though, what makes a sensei
different from a musical master that teaches an instrument through
repeated practice. Is just repeated practiced modeled by a mentor
sufficient to account for the phenomenon?

On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Paul Dillon wrote:

> Eric,
>
> I don't think the idea of a "cultural systems" has a "theoretical
> construct" upon which all anthropologists agree (or any others who
> use the concept of culture) so I think the zpd and culture are
> about at the same level in this sense. I say this as a practicing
> anthropologist (ie, one actively involved the study of "culture",
> in my case Andean culture) which is also the field in which I have
> my advanced degrees.
>
> Like the zpd , "culture" can be looked at from a lot of
> perspectives. There are different schools of thought about it,
> there is no paradigm (in the Kuhnian sense) for "culture" or for
> "cultural systems" so the problem is just moved back one level when
> you use that concept to talk about the limitations of another one.
>
> Nevertheless, both culture and zoped are extremely useful
> concepts for a variety of practical and theoretical applications.
> Maybe the desire to have scientific concepts that resemble those of
> the natural sciences is just starting of on the wrong foot when
> dealing with the socio-cultural (and by implication psychological)
> level.
>
> Paul
>
> ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org wrote:
>
> Paul:
> As a metaphor Vygotsky's ZPD explains his thinking very well, as a
>

> theoretical construct it does not have the capacity to be analyzed
> in a
>

> manner that separates an individual's systems from the cultural
> systems
>

> which are elucidating and canalizing an individual's developments,
>

> subsequently Valsiner has dissected Vygotsky's ZPD into three zones
> that
>

> not only explain human development more precisely but provide
>

> methodological tools that allow researchers to discuss developmental
>

> systems with more specific lucidity.
>

> Valsiner separated Vygotsky's ZPD into three different zones that he
>

> labeled the Zone of Free Movement (ZFM), the Zone of Promoted
> Action (ZPA)
>

> and a much more specific Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD). When I
>

> introduced his "Process structure of semiotic mediation" paper a
> few months
>

> back it did not meet with much support. I do not want to spend much
> time
>

> discussing his more specific zone approach because that as well may
> not be
>

> what people are interested in. If people are it is available in his
> book,
>

> "Culture and the development of children's actions."
>

> eric
>

> Paul Dillon
>

> yahoo.com> cc:
> Sent by: Subject: Re: [xmca] perhaps. . . sensei
> xmca-bounces who-is-at web
> er.ucsd.edu
>

> 12/21/2006 10:33
> AM
> Please respond
> [...]

David Preiss, Ph.D.
Profesor Auxiliar / Assistant Professor

Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
Escuela de Psicología
Av Vicuña Mackenna 4860
Macul, Santiago
Chile