RE: [xmca] Evolving personalized instructional construct?

From: Cunningham, Donald James (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2006 - 17:31:37 PST

No one picked up on this and I should probably just drop it but the
continued discussion on ZOPED prompts me to ask, could a computer
algorithm be a "more knowledgeable" partner? Adaptive testing is another
example of an artificial intelligence that tries to move people into a
zone of maximum response. If the vision in EPIC 2015 were actualized,
might not the algorithm be a sensei, showing us the way forward? I
understand that the notion of _forward_ is problematic, but is that not
also true of a human sensei......or any teacher? And why should the goal
in a zoped be the ability to act independently? Most of the things in my
life that have expanded my capabilities are things I have come to rely
on and are now a part of me. I can't imagine how I ever wrote anything
of value when I wrote in long hand, had a poor (now nearly blind thanks
to me) secretary type it up, correct, edit, repeat, and so forth. Here I
link with Donna's contribution where she mentions natural born cyborgs.
Can anyone doubt that within my lifetime (and I'm OLD) that things like
MP3's and cell phones will be available as surgical implants?

Mind you, this all scares the beejeezes out of me..........djc

Don Cunningham
Indiana University

"Whatever you are, be a good one" - A. Lincoln